Manager, Business Development
This newly created position is to lead the sales function and team of this fast-growing hip and knee replacement Clinical Registry. The primary role of the Business Development Manager is to prospect for new business opportunities (hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, and group practices) by networking, cold calling, advertising, or other means of generating interest from potential clients. He/she will also be responsible for planning persuasive approaches and pitches that will convince potential facilities to do business with the American Joint Replacement Registry (AJRR). Understanding how Registry participation can impact quality initiatives for hospitals, surgery centers, and surgeons and being knowledgeable in healthcare technology space is the key to being successful in this role
This person must develop a rapport with new clients, set targets for sales, and provide support that will continually improve the relationship. This person will work with mid and senior level management, marketing, and technical staff to achieve goals.
He/she will manage the activities and evaluation of two Business Development Associates who are also responsible for developing business for the AJRR. Strategic planning is a key part of this role to develop the pipeline of new business coming into the company. This requires a thorough knowledge of the market and the solutions/services the company can provide, and to be able to position AJRR’s benefits and value against the company’s competitors. Being able to deliver a persuasive presentation and demonstration of the dashboards to surgeons and technical people within hospitals is essential to the success of this role. Salesforce is utilized as the customer relationship management (CRM) software.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prospect for new business development opportunities and turn potential new clients into increased business.
- Identify and research potential clients, and the decision makers within the hospitals, surgery centers, and/or practice groups. Cold call as appropriate to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities.
- Set up meetings between decision makers and company’s practice leaders/principals.
- Plan approaches and pitches while working with team to develop proposals that speak to the client’s needs, concerns, and objectives.
- Review and negotiate contracts and business agreements with institutions; route proposed legal changes and communicate with paralegal and/or external legal counsel when necessary.
- Ensure that security assessment questionnaires are completed and delivered to the clients when requested.
- Participate in pricing the solution/service.
- Handle objections by clarifying, emphasizing agreements, and working through differences to a positive conclusion. Use a variety of styles to persuade or negotiate appropriately.
- Present an image that mirrors that of the client.
- Help to ensure client retention.
- Work with technical staff and other internal colleagues to meet customer needs.
- Arrange and participate in internal and external client debriefs.
- Experience managing a lead opportunity to customer pipeline in Salesforce or similar required.
Business Development Planning
- Attend industry functions, such as association events and conferences; provide feedback and information on market and creative trends.
- Present to and consult with mid and senior level management on business trends with a view to developing new services, products, and distribution channels.
- Identify opportunities for campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sales.
- Using knowledge of the market and competitors, identify and develop the company’s unique selling propositions and differentiators.
Management and Research
- Submit weekly progress reports demonstrating success measures and trends.
- Ensure that data is accurately entered and managed within the company’s CRM or other sales management system.
- Forecast targets and ensure they are met by the team.
- Track and record activity on accounts and help to close deals to meet these targets.
- Work with marketing staff to ensure that prerequisites (like prequalification or getting on a vendor list) are fulfilled within a timely manner.
- Ensure all team members represent the company in the best light.
- Present business development training and mentoring to business developers and other internal staff.
- Research and develop a thorough understanding of the company’s people and capabilities.
- Understand the company’s goal and purpose for continuous improvement and performance.
- Create and maintain relevant measures for performance reporting (lead to close activities).
Business development management positions require a bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of sales or marketing experience.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Federal Compliance, Networking, Contracting, Persuasion, Prospecting, Public Speaking, Research, Writing, Closing Skills, Motivation for Sales, Prospecting Skills, Sales Planning, Identification of Customer Needs and Challenges, Territory Management, Market Knowledge, Meeting Sales Goals, Professionalism, CRM, and Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with Non-Profit management
- Knowledge of current healthcare environment
- Individual with proven track record in business development and expanding revenues
- Presentation skills